Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cast Change is Coming Up

Mackenzie's 6 week cast change appointment is coming up soon.  Exactly 6 weeks would be August 2nd.  However I hadn't heard anything yet and I called the hospital and apparently they are having some issues finding a surgeon and OR time due to people's holidays, OR closures, etc.  That does NOT make this momma happy.  When I called on Monday the secretary to our surgeon told me that she was hoping to be able to get another surgeon to do it on the 30th.

This is terrible for two reasons:

1) I would much prefer our surgeon to be the one to do the procedure.  We have talked to him a lot about how things are going to go, asked a million questions, and he is the most familiar with Mackenzie's specific situation.

2) Brice is leaving tomorrow for Costa Rica and will not get home until late the evening of the 30th.  This means that I would have to go by myself up to the hospital with Mackenzie.  Thankfully my lovely sister has agreed to come with me if that ends up being the case.


I did not hear back from the hospital yesterday so I plan on calling and harassing them this afternoon to see what the plan is.   I like to have a plan and not knowing well in advance stresses me out.

We also are not sure if we want to go with a waterproof cast as they mentioned we could have.  Unless it is equally breathable and comfortable, we would likely not go with it.  My understanding is that we obviously would still not be able to give Mackenzie a bath or anything of the sort so then I'd just be essentially keeping it dry all the time for fear of being able to dry it out after getting wet.  Also, we have been lucky enough to not have any smell issues with the cast thus far so I'm confident we can do that again for the next cast.


I am not tech-saavy enough to figure out how to put a poll in so leave us a comment below about what colour cast Mackenzie should get next.  They seem to have almost every colour under the rainbow.  Should we stick with purple?  Go with the obvious choice of pink or something entirely different?

Update:  Monday it is for the cast change!  Because that's 4 days earlier than the 6 weeks, hopefully we can lose 4 days at the end when it's time for it to come off!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am definately partial to purple but I do like pink as well. Something bright and "summer-y"!! Change it up!!

    ReplyDelete