Thursday, June 28, 2012

One week down, 11(ish) to go

We have survived the first week of Mackenzie being in the spica cast.  Here are some random thoughts and tidbits from the week:


  • Each day seems to take forever, but the week went by *fairly* quickly.

  • We don't actually know for sure how long she will have to be in the cast so the count down is a little anti-climactic.  We also have not heard back regarding any of our questions for the surgeon. 

  • She has started rubbing the hair off the back of her head like a newborn baby because instead of being able to roll over in her sleep she turns her head back and forth, back and forth.  This is exacerbated when she is crying.  I hope she doesn't rub it totally bald because she is already a little lacking in the hair department!

  • It's really difficult because she can't tell you what is the matter.  When she cries I never know if she is uncomfortable, the cast is bothering her, or if it is just something "regular".  She seems to be a lot more cranky and irritable than pre-spica.  

  • Sleep has been terrible!  She has always been a great sleeper (12 hours through the night since about 3 months old minus a few weeks during teething) and now she is waking up several times in the night.  Often she will be awake for an hour and a half at a time in the middle of the night and nothing seems to help unless one of us just holds her and lets her "play".   When I put her down for naps she literally clings to me and starts crying as soon as she sees the crib.  

  • Yesterday I finally went through her closet and dresser and had to pack up so many cute clothes that have never been worn and she will never get to wear.

  • Snuggle your babies and don't ever take that for granted.  She is really difficult to hold, let alone cuddle well.  She has never really been one for cuddling, but now its not even an option.  Her cast comes up so high that I can't even rub her back to try to comfort her when she is upset.  

  • Her resilience is astounding.  She is pulling herself all over the house.  Brice is trying to "teach" her how to roll over and she did it once on her own on the third day in the cast.

  • In a very scientific experiment I weighed myself with and without her and she is about 20 pounds with the cast which is only 2 pounds heavier than pre-cast.  She feels about 10 pounds heavier.

  • Thankfully she loves the stroller so when she is especially cranky and refusing to sleep I just throw gentle place her in the stroller and go for a walk.  I'm dreading the hotter summer days where this won't be an option.

  • It's tough to work through the feelings (this is Brice writing). The lack of sleep and her crankiness is getting to me. As I was telling coworkers, I understand some kids don't sleep well at  night, I could live with that or I could live with the Spica (at least I tell myself I could), but both is just unruly. I blame the cast for everything. If she's cranky, it's the cast, if she wakes up, it's the cast, if she cries, if we can't go for a walk because it's hot, if I can 't go for a beer after work, if I have a bad day, etc, it's the CAST. One week down. 



2 comments:

  1. You are doing brilliantly!! Keep it up, you will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just found your blog. Thank you!! My daughter is 6 months and has been in her cast for a week. This is really helpful,

    ReplyDelete